WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
- THE TEAM: We are a group of researchers from three universities in Hong Kong and Guangzhou: Dr Maggie Ziyin Mai (PI, City University of Hong Kong), Prof Virginia Yip (Co-I, Chinese University of Hong Kong), Prof Peggy Mok (Co-I, Chinese University of Hong Kong) and Prof Zhuang Wu (Co-I, Guangdong University of Foreign Studies).
- THE PROJECT: We are recruiting participants for a government-funded research project studying very young children (age 0-3) who are acquiring Mandarin, Cantonese and English in Hong Kong and Guangzhou. We hope to provide scientific evidence for child language development and useful advice for parents.
- THE METHODS: We investigate language development of young children through regular video recordings of the children playing or reading with their parents or other caretakers. We also use other methods such as questionnaires, and language tests.
- THE ETHICS: The research methods and procedures have been approved by respective Research Ethics Committees of the three collaborating universities. Parents can choose to remain partially or fully anonymous when the research team publishes the data.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Families who fit the following description are welcome to participate in our study:
- The child was born full-term (37 weeks+) between May and December 2020;
- The child is the oldest child of the family, and has been residing in either Hong Kong or Guangzhou most of the time;
- The child is healthy without any known or suspected developmental delays or disorders, and
- The parents are native speakers of one or more of the target languages of this project (Mandarin, Cantonese, English) and are willing to work with the research team for 2 years to study how their child develops one or more languages from age 1 to 3.
WHAT YOU GET FROM THIS PROJECT
- A selection of popular children’s books hand-picked for children aged 1-3 in Hong Kong and Guangzhou worth HKD $600-$2,000, depending on the family’s language background and level of involvement;
- Professional advice on maximizing your child’s language potential by making use of existing language resources of the family;
- Regular guidance on effective strategies in parent-child shared book reading for 2 years;
- Regular assessment of your child’s linguistic and cognitive development for 2 years;
- Footage of regular video recordings of parent-child interaction as a valuable record of your child’s development and sweet memory of the family; and
- Free individual consultation opportunities with child language development experts in the research team (depending on availability of team members).
HOW TO REGISTER
Fill in the registration form and we will get in touch and let you know the details!
CONTACT FOR INQUIRY
- Email: email@example.com
- WhatsApp: (+852) 5441 2381
- WeChat ID: LittleTrilingual
Sharing this with a friend? We have three versions here!